Palucca University

History

Palucca founded her own school in Dresden in 1925. Initially she offered lessons in her own apartment before later moving to rented premises.  During the Nazi period, she was not allowed to teach free dance from 1936 onwards and her school was closed down in 1939. In July 1945, soon after the end of the war, Palucca reopened her school in Dresden; it was nationalised in 1949 and granted the status of a technical school for artistic dance. Palucca invented the subject “new artistic dance”, enabling her to continue to incorporate her own dance style into the school syllabus. Classical ballet in the Russian style dominated the teaching in the Palucca School’s new building, built in Dresden in 1957.

After the peaceful revolution in the GDR, the School began to reflect on its own traditions. A balanced education in the three pillars of Ballet, Contemporary Dance and Improvisation became a permanent component of the School’s profile and is what sets it apart. In 1993 the Palucca Schule Dresden was accorded equal status with the Universities of the Arts and in 1999, with the coming into effect of the Free State of Saxony’s Law on Higher Education, the School became Germany’s first and so far only independent University of Dance. Extensive renovations and extensions started in 2004 and were completed with the new building extension, inaugurated in 2007.

Since August 2006, Canadian-born Jason Beechey has been Rector of the School. In 2010 the university changed its name to the Palucca University of Dance Dresden.